30 Day beat challenge.
30 Day beat challenge is pretty much what it says on the tin, make a beat or piece of music everyday for thirty days. Before you know it you will have a handy little catalogue of music at your disposal and hopefully learn a few valuable skills along the way.
I’ve undertaken this particular challenge twice and, as gruelling as it can be, it definitely has it’s benefits. Now, a lot of musicians are probably thinking “making music everyday… pfft… that’s easy as hell” and, for a lot of us, it may possibly be the case but, as you all may know, writers block can strike at the most unfortunate of times.
Here is a list of 10 helpful tips that may ease the 30 days:
- Don’t procrastinate. Make sure you give yourself an allotted time to create
,(unless inspiration strikes!).
- Don’t be afraid to make something rubbish. Anything you make on this journey is a step, and if it’s not better than the last then at least it can be used as a reference for what you need to improve on.
- Don’t just say “I’ll make two beats tomorrow”, tomorrow will come eventually and you’ll find it becomes more and more a drag.
- Set your files aside from everything else on your hard drive so you can reference them with ease.
- If you miss a day don’t just give up, the challenge isn’t just an end goal, it’s also about the progression.
- Even if you feel uncomfortable about it, try to diversify what you make
,. Going outside your comfort zone is a good thing and you may just discover a love for other types of music.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for feedback, ask your friends and peers what they think.
- Don’t take feedback from others as gospel, everyone has a different opinion and what makes a piece of music undesirable for someone, might just be the cherry on the top of the cake for someone else.
- Use this time to try out different music making / production techniques, watch videos and scan the internet for new information. You’ll be surprised what you can learn.
- It might not always be fun but try to see the good and the fun in everything you do.
This challenge really helped me and even to this day, when I find myself lacking, I set myself a new thirty days and always come out of it feeling accomplished. What this challenge really is, is a chance to believe in the work you produce and to learn, progress and have fun.
Set yourself a 30 day challenge and push through your personal barriers, you won’t be disappointed.
If any of you have already done this, or are thinking of doing it, send me the beats and music you’re most proud of and I’ll feature them on the site. I’m excited to see what you guys will come up with.
If you’d like to see some of the work I came up with during my latest 30 day beat challenge, head on over to my instagram